Monday, March 28, 2011

DMA: Blog 1 (Who am I?)





Noelle Franco (Me!)



This is my life.  My name is Noelle Franco.  I am 18 years old and I attend University of North Carolina School of the Arts as a first year Drama major.  I am currently studying to receive a Bachelor of Arts degree in Acting.  I am originally from Pasadena, California.  Pasadena is a small suburb of Los Angeles.  Though I am very far from home, it has been an exciting challenge.  I miss my life in California, mostly my family, but I know it is important for me to leave home and learn to be more independent. Life in Winston-Salem is very different from living in Los Angeles mainly because of its size.  I moved from a big city, to the quiet, southern lifestyle that North Carolina has to offer.  I am enjoying experiencing something new.

My Costa Rican Grandma
I imagine this feeling is what my ancestors may have felt when they immigrated to the United States.  My mother and grandmother immigrated from Costa Rica when my mother was 8 years old. 

My Father and Mexican Grandfather
My father and his parents immigrated from Mexico when my father was 5 years old.  Both my parents first language was Spanish.  


Neither of my parents spoke English when they first entered the United States.  Eventually, they did learn to speak English by watching episodes of the Twilight Zone and the Three Stooges.  My father frequently recalls quoting the Three Stooges, pretending that his English was perfect.  Though my grandparents and parents were very poor when they entered the United States, they both worked very hard in order to achieve the working status in which they are at today.  My mother and father truly value education and believe by educating yourself you can achieve anything.  

My Mom
I have the utmost respect for my parents.  My mother is the President and CEO of a non-profit organization in Los Angeles called Para Los Ninos, which in English, translates to "For the Children."  Her mission is to provide educational services, build charter schools, and after-school program to serve children on Skid-Row.  Skid-Row is one of the poorest areas of Los Angeles.  My mother loves children and has dedicated her life to serving them.  She truly believes children are our future.  Though my mother has a law degree, one of the biggest problems she faces in the working community is sexism.  She frequently has to present herself as a capable woman, willing to speak her mind.  

My Father
My father is the Vice-President of Public Affairs for NBC/Telemundo.  Though his job is different than my mothers, he believes that through media and television, he can change society by actively participating in the Los Angeles community.  

Me in Costa Rica!
Both my parents inspired me to study acting.  I first became interested in acting because of all the traveling my family and I did.  We've been to various countries all over the world including: Ecuador, Mexico, Costa Rica, Chile, Peru, Italy, France, Sweden, Greece, England, and France.  


 
I love meeting people from around the world because it gives me the opportunity to understand other peoples culture, language, and experiences.  My parents instilled in me the importance of respecting others' cultures and beliefs. I think they believed this to be so important because when they first moved to the United States they had such a hard time integrating themselves into American culture.  I think it is very hard to come to the United States without knowing anyone. To me, it is very important to welcome to people to a country that is known as the "melting pot."  Our country is full of people with different ethnicities.  It is important for all people to share with the country their experiences living in different countries, in order for people to better understand each other! Like this picture mosaic, I am a girl with many different interests and views that all make up who I am.  


No comments:

Post a Comment